If you plan to rent a residential dwelling in the Village of Sister Bay for less than 30 days, you must first register that Short-Term Rental (STR) with the Village.
The Village enacted Ordinance No. 293 on March 23, 2022 and some of the highlights of the Short-Term Rental Regulatory Ordinance are listed below; however, if you are planning to rent, we recommend that you read the complete ordinance (Click here to access Ordinance 293).
CLICK HERE to access the updated ordinance which was passed by the Village Board on April 19, 2022.
The licensing year begins on July 1 and runs through June 30th of the subsequent year.
You must hold a valid Wisconsin Tourist Rooming House License and be licensed by the Door County Tourism Zone Commission as a condition of obtaining a STR license from the Village.
If the property owner does not reside within 30 miles of the STR during rental periods, there must be a Resident Agent located within 30 miles who can respond 24/7 by phone or email.
You will need to provide a list of Property Rules to your guests and submit a copy with your application to the Village of Sister Bay. These rules and emergency contact information for the owner/agent will be provided to neighbors within 300 feet of the property by Village staff. Contents for such Rules are outlined in the Ordinance and License Application.
A STR license may be suspended, revoked, or not renewed when violations of the STR ordinance occur.
See Frequently Asked Questions for more information. [Click here.]
- Thoroughly review the Short-Term Rental of Residential Dwellings Ordinance (Click Here).
- Visit the State of Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) to arrange for a property inspection and obtain a Tourist Rooming House License. https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Licenses_Permits/RecFacLicenses.aspx
- Visit the Door County Tourism Zone Commission for information and guide to obtain a lodging permit for short-term rentals. http://doorcountytourismzone.com
- Download and fill out the Short-Term Rental of License Application Form [Click Here].
- Be sure you will have all the information and copies that are required to be submitted with the application.
- Deliver your application and supporting documents to the Clerk’s Office with the $500 STR License fee made payable to Village of Sister Bay.
Office address: 2383 Maple Dr, PO Box 769, Sister Bay, WI 54234.
- After application approval (approximately two weeks), you will receive a license. Be sure to post the Property Rules in the residential rental dwelling along with contact information.
All requirements must be completed before a STR License is provided.
Click here to see a sample letter that will be sent to neighboring property owners.