If you plan to rent a residential dwelling in the Village of Sister Bay for less than 30 days, you must first register that Short-Term Rental (STR) with the Village.
The Village enacted Ordinance No. 293 on March 23, 2022 and some of the highlights of the Short-Term Rental Regulatory Ordinance are listed below. The STR regulations were amended by subsequent Ordinances, and all changes are reflected in Chapter 18 of the Municipal Code – Business Regulation.
CLICK HERE to access Chapter 18 of the Municipal Code which contains the most recent updates to the Village’s Short-term Rental Ordinance
The licensing year begins on July 1 and runs through June 30th of the subsequent year.
You must hold a valid Wisconsin Tourist Rooming House License and be licensed by the Door County Tourism Zone Commission as a condition of obtaining a STR license from the Village.
If the property owner does not reside within 30 miles of the STR during rental periods, there must be a Resident Agent located within 30 miles who can respond 24/7 by phone or email.
You will need to provide a list of Property Rules to your guests and submit a copy with your application to the Village of Sister Bay. These rules and emergency contact information for the owner/agent will be provided to neighbors within 300 feet of the property by Village staff. Contents for such Rules are outlined in the Ordinance and License Application.
A STR license may be suspended, revoked, or not renewed when violations of the STR ordinance occur.
See Frequently Asked Questions for more information. [Click here.]
- Thoroughly review the Short-Term Rental of Residential Dwellings Ordinance (Click Here).
- Visit the State of Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) to arrange for a property inspection and obtain a Tourist Rooming House License. https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Licenses_Permits/RecFacLicenses.aspx
- Visit the Door County Tourism Zone Commission for information and guide to obtain a lodging permit for short-term rentals. http://doorcountytourismzone.com
- Download and fill out the Short-Term Rental of License Application Form [Click Here].
- Be sure you will have all the information and copies that are required to be submitted with the application.
- Deliver your application and supporting documents to the Clerk’s Office with the $500 STR License fee made payable to Village of Sister Bay.
Office address: 2383 Maple Dr, PO Box 769, Sister Bay, WI 54234.
- After application approval (approximately two weeks), you will receive a license. Be sure to post the Property Rules in the residential rental dwelling along with contact information.
All requirements must be completed before a STR License is provided.
Click here to see a sample letter that will be sent to neighboring property owners.