Short-Term Rental License Requirements


If you plan to rent a residential dwelling in the Village of Sister Bay for less than 30 days, you must first register that Short-Term Rental (STR) with the Village. 

The Village enacted Ordinance No. 293 on March 23, 2022 and some of the highlights of the Short­-Term Rental Regulatory Ordinance are listed below.  The STR regulations were amended by subsequent Ordinances, and all changes are reflected in Chapter 18 of the Municipal Code – Business Regulation.   

CLICK HERE to access Chapter 18 of the Municipal Code which contains the most recent updates to the Village’s Short-term Rental Ordinance 

The licensing year begins on July 1 and runs through June 30th of the subsequent year.  

You must hold a valid Wisconsin Tourist Rooming House License and be licensed by the Door County Tourism Zone Commission as a condition of obtaining a STR license from the Village.

If the property owner does not reside within 30 miles of the STR during rental periods, there must be a Resident Agent located within 30 miles who can respond 24/7 by phone or email.

You will need to provide a list of Property Rules to your guests and submit a copy with your application to the Village of Sister Bay.  These rules and emergency contact information for the owner/agent will be provided to neighbors within 300 feet of the property by Village staff.  Contents for such Rules are outlined in the Ordinance and License Application.

A STR license may be suspended, revoked, or not renewed when violations of the STR ordinance occur.  

See Frequently Asked Questions for more information. [Click here.]

Application Steps:

  1. Thoroughly review the Short-Term Rental of Residential Dwellings Ordinance (Click Here).
  2. Visit the State of Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) to arrange for a property inspection and obtain a Tourist Rooming House License.
  3. Visit the Door County Tourism Zone Commission for information and guide to obtain a lodging permit for short-term rentals.
  4. Download and fill out the Short-Term Rental of License Application Form [Click Here].
  5. Be sure you will have all the information and copies that are required to be submitted with the application.
  6. Deliver your application and supporting documents to the Clerk’s Office with the $500 STR License fee made payable to Village of Sister Bay.
    Office address: 2383 Maple Dr, PO Box 769, Sister Bay, WI 54234.
  7. After application approval (approximately two weeks), you will receive a license. Be sure to post the Property Rules in the residential rental dwelling along with contact information. 

All requirements must be completed before a STR License is provided. 

 Click here to see a sample letter that will be sent to neighboring property owners. 


To renew your Short-term Rental License, you can access the application here.  The renewal application, supporting documents and annual fee are due to the Village office by May 20th of each year.  Applications received after that date will be subject to a $100 late filing fee.  This ensures that there is adequate time to issue your license before your existing license expires.